Since 1935 serving persons with Hansen's Disease (Leprosy)
In 1935 Bishop George Weld invited the Sisters of Mercy to care for the patients at Mahaica Hospital, 22 miles from Georgetown where there were over 200 patients suffering from Hansen's Disease. They would assume the responsibilities the Czechoslovatkian Sisters of the Immaculate Conception had held prior to their departure from Guyana. Sisters of Mercy ministered there as administrators, nurses, cooks and fulfilled other duties as needed.
The hospital grounds contain many wooden structures built prior Guyanan independence from Britain in 1966. Sisters of Mercy continued to serve formally at Mahaica until 1970 when the newly formed Guyanese government assumed responsibility for the hospital.
Once a cure was developed in the 1960's, admissions declined and other residents moved. Approximately 10 persons remain living on the property, having been raised there since childhood.
Sisters continue to minister to the residents in the Mahaica Hospital through regular visits, small gifts, and advocating for them when needed.